Getting away with it in the short term is not enough.
…in fact, this is why the ATF or FBI handles most bomb cases. Local and state police do not have the resources (read free time) to work long investigations. Most bombings turn into “paper trail” cases.
Bombs are not completely destroyed when they detonate. In their final training exercise, the ATF detonates a car bomb. The assignment is to then contain the scene, gather the evidence, then put the scene back together again.
How do they ever figure out which bag or package blows up a plane?
They get a manifest or list of all boxes and bags. Then names and addresses associated with them. The bag that is missing or the most obliterated….was the one holding the bomb.
Every little detail becomes important:
– suspect had the same powder at home as used in the weapon
– suspect caught by leaving print on battery
– suspect caught by buying components by credit card
– suspect caught by having same wire at home as same in the bomb
– suspect caught by the tool used to crimp wires was in his posession
Ted was the best bomber in all of human history. The fbi wasn’t even close to him in 1996, after over 20 years of investigation. It was only after his baby bro ratted him out that he got on the radar.